Pest Management Working Party

Wednesday 20 June 2018 at 3.00pm

 

 

AGENDA

 


Pest Management Working Party

20 June 2018

Pest Management Working Party Agenda

 

Meeting to be held in the Council Chamber

on Wednesday 20 June 2018, commencing at 3.00pm

 

Please note: working parties and working groups carry NO formal decision-making delegations from council. The purpose of the working party/group is to carry out preparatory work and discussions prior to taking matters to the full council for formal consideration and decision-making. Working party/group meetings are open to the public to attend (unless there are specific grounds under LGOIMA for the public to be excluded).

 

MEMBERSHIP OF THE Pest Management Working Party

Chairman, Councillor Mike Finlayson

Councillor Justin Blaikie

Councillor Paul Dimery

Councillor Bill Shepherd (Ex-Officio)

Councillor R Stolwerk

Non Elected Member from TTMAC

 

 

 

Item                                                                                                                                       Page

1.0    apologies   

2.0    declarations of conflicts of interest

3.0    Reports

3.1      Record of Actions from previous meeting & Matters Arising

Attachment 1       Record of Actions from meeting held 18 October 2017                             3

Attachment 2       Record of Actions from meeting held 8 November 2017                           5

3.2      New Trap Technology Presentation (Shane Hyde)

3.3      Long Term Plan Delivery Update - High Value Areas (verbal update)

3.4      Kauri Dieback (verbal update)
- Court Decision
- Strategy for cleaning stations on private land

3.5      Pig Control Strategy

3.6      Engagement with Corrections Department for work on Environmental Outcomes   

   


Pest Management Working Party  ITEM: 3.1

20 June 2018Attachment 1

RECORD OF ACTIONS

 

NORTHLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL

Pest Management Working Party

 

Discussion held in the Committee Room, Northland Regional Council

on Wednesday 18 October 2017 commencing at 2.00 pm

 

 

Present: Mike Finlayson (Chair), Rick Stolwerk, Kane McElrea, Paul Dimery, Bruce Howse, Bill Shepherd, Michelle Elboz, Teina Wells-Smith, Nola Sooner (Minute Taker)

 

Apologies: Justin Blaikie, Don McKenzie, Malcolm Nicolson, Nora Rameka

 

Additional matters to be discussed:.

 

MATTERS DISCUSSED

1.   Minutes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising

 

Presented by:

Mike Finlayson. 

 

Accepted as read.

 

2.   Kauri Dieback

 

Presented by:

Kane McElrea

 

3.   Use of sound to understand kiwi biology

 

Presented by:

Kane McElrea

 

Verbal report provided on how NRC assess the health/population dynamics of kiwi.

 

 

4.   Predator Free 2050

 

Presented by:

Bruce Howse

 

 

AGREED ACTION POINTS

Matters arising from previous Record of Actions

·    Staff to provide an update to the next Working Party meeting on deer legislation, current funding and permits in Northland (Kane McElrea).

·    A copy of the Kauri Dieback Partnership Charter to be circulated to this Working Party.

·    A copy of the Annual Report of Biocontrol Agents and confirmation to be circulated to this Working Party that an application for funding re ginger biocontrol agent has been sent to Landcare Research.

 


 

Kauri Dieback

·    Bruce to raise at the next Kauri Dieback Governance meeting the following four recommendations made to MPI:

Consider disbanding the joint agency- the alternative structure for a revised charter agreement along the lines of the didymo and check clean dry campaign.

Propose distributed leadership model whereby MPI take the lead in national branding and messaging, regions lead operational aspects of the plan including the fencing fund on private land DOC leads on public land, research priorities are led by a consortium of regions and DOC.

Consultation and engagement with tangata whenua is done via existing structures within regions and DOC.

Northland proposes to redirect current contribution from the joint agency programme toward operational priorities in Northland.

 

Use of sound to understand kiwi biology

·    The Pest Management Working Party endorsed the methods used by NRC staff to understand kiwi biology.

 

Predator Free 2050

·    Bruce to share in confidence documents relating to Predator Free 2050.

 

Meeting closed: 3.18pm


Pest Management Working Party  ITEM: 3.1

20 June 2018Attachment 2

RECORD OF ACTIONS

 

NORTHLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL

Pest Management Working Party

 

Discussion held in the Committee Room, Northland Regional Council

on Wednesday 8 November 2017 commencing at 4.00 pm

 

 

Present: Mike Finlayson (Chair), Justin Blaikie, Rick Stolwerk, Bruce Howse, Michelle Elboz, Dave Tams, Penny Smart, Jonathan Gibbard, Nola Sooner (Minute Taker)

 

Apologies: Malcolm Nicolson, Bill Shepherd

 

Additional matters to be discussed: Nil

 

MATTERS DISCUSSED

1.   Minutes of Previous Meeting and Matters Arising

This was deferred to the next meeting.

 

2.   Pest Management Rate

 

Presented by:

Bruce Howse

 

 

 

AGREED ACTION POINTS

·    The Pest Management Working Party supported the proposal for a Pest Management Rate that is set on a fixed amount per each SUIP or rating unit across the region (i.e. same mechanism as Council services rate.)

 

 

Meeting closed: 4.20pm