UnconfirmedTe Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party

5 July 2018

Tuhituhi o ngā Mahi O Te Kāhui Māori O Taitokerau

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party Record of Actions


Meeting held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 5 July 2018, commencing at 11.00am



Tuhinga (Present):

Co-Chair, Councillor Paul Dimery (arrived 12pm)

Co-Chair, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Pita Tipene

Councillor Mike Finlayson

Councillor Bill Shepherd

Councillor Penny Smart

Councillor Joce Yeoman

Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board, Juliane Chetham

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Georgina Connelly (departed at 12.55)

Ngāti Kuta, Patukeha, Michelle Elboz

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Te Huranga Hohaia

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Patu Hohepa

Ngāti Tara, Victor Holloway

Ngāti Manu, Kitty Mahanga

Ngātiwai Trust Board, Henry Murphy

Te Parawhau Hapū Authority Charitable Trust, Mira Norris

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Nora Rameka

Te Whakapiko Hapū, Rowan Tautari

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Rudy Taylor

Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Kuri/Te Hiku O Te Ika Marae Trust, Bundy Waitai

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Malcolm Welsh


Secretarial Note: Councillor Smart acted as Co-Chair for Councillor Dimery.

I Tae Mai (In Attendance):

Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)

NRC Chief Executive

Kaiarahi Kaupapa Māori

Kaiarahi Tikanga Māori

PA/Team Admin Governance and Engagement

Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)

GM - Governance and Engagement

Biosecurity Manager (for Item 3.6)

Economist (for Item 3.9)

George Riley, GM – Māori Economic Development, Northland Inc


The meeting commenced at 11.10am.

Karakia / Whakatau

Secretarial Note: The opening karakia and mihimihi by members Tipene and Hohepa was held at the beginning of the non-elected members caucus session.

New member, Victor Holloway representing Ngāti Tara, was introduced and welcomed.

Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)

Co-Chair, Councillor Paul Dimery (arrived 12pm)

Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa, Rihari Dargaville

Ngāti Kuta Patukeha, Shirley Hakaraia

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi, Mike Kake

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpui, Fred Sadler.

Whakapuakanga o mua (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest) (Item 2.0)

It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.


Record of Actions – 10 May 2018 (Item 3.1)

It was agreed that the record of actions was an accurate record of what transpired at the last meeting.


Removal and Replacement of Absent Members (Item 3.2)

It was advised that members Ngawaka and Walters have had four consecutive absences without tendering an apology. Henry Murphy advised that Phillip Ngawaka had resigned but that had yet to be communicated to Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party (TTMAC).


Agreed action points:

·                That, in accordance with the Ngā Kupu Panga|Terms of Reference, Te Waiariki, Ngāti Korora, Ngāti Takapari Hupu/Iwi Trust, along with member Walters, be sent a letter advising that the member has been removed from TTMAC due to four consecutive absences respectively, without apology.

·                That member Murphy arrange for TTMAC to receive written notification of member Ngawaka’s resignation.


Proposed amendment to Ngā Kupu Pānga | Terms of Reference (Item 3.3)

An agreed action point from Item 3.5 the 10 May meeting of the Ta Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party (TTMAC) was to amend the Ngā Kupu Pānga | Terms of Reference. After a brief discussion it was agreed to make a further change to the proposed additional text, including the kupu “only” in the first sentence.

Agreed action points:

·                That the following proposed amendment to the Ngā Kupu Pānga |Terms of Reference go to Council’s August meeting for approval:

“Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party members can provide advice based only on information presented. Council acknowledges that iwi and hapū representative members advice does not usurp the mana of iwi and hapū of Taitokerau to make decisions and representations to council on issues of important to them.”

·                To check that clause 7 Ngā tangata | Membership correctly reflects tangata whenua groupings.

Secretarial Note: The change to the Ngā Kupu Pānga |Terms of Reference will go to Council’s September meeting for approval. This will still be in time for the September formal meeting.


Te Tai Tokerau Māori and Council Marae Based Hui (Item 3.4)

Te Parawhau was confirmed as the host of the December 2018 regional marae-based hui. An ‘offsite’ hui is proposed for Te Uri o Hau’s hosting of the TTMAC hui in August to visit to their Te Arai nursery and view wetlands plantings and fairy tern conservation at Tara Iti golfcourse.

Agreed action points:

·                Staff will work with member Connelly to arrange travel and catering for the hui.


Māori Technical Advisory Group Update (Item 3.5)

The discussion focused mainly on Mana Whakahono a Rohe|Iwi Participation Arrangements (MWR). Council currently is waiting on advice from MTAG and central government (Te Puni Kokiri, Ministry for the Environment) about iwi status and how council might engage regarding MWR requests. While waiting for the advice, Council is happy to proceed with requests regarding practical operational issues, such as pest control and water quality. It was also confirmed that Environmental Management Plans will continue, regardless of whether MWR arrangements are entered into.

Agreed action points:

·                The Ngātiwai and the Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Kuri/Te Hika O Te Ika Marae Trust members, Murphy and Waitai, will put a request in writing to the council if they wish to engage in the MWR process. 


Te Taitokerau Maori and Council Working Party pānui Ngā Karere o Taitokerau (Item 3.6)

The Kaiarihi – Tikanga Māori presented on the June Panui regarding its content, the production process, and circulation statistics. Direction was provided by members that the Panui needed to be more tailored to its audience. For example, including Māori submissions on the Long Term Plan rather than generic information. There was also feedback from members that this was a good tool to communicate what members were doing and that they needed to take some ownership, add their flavour to it and promote it.

Agreed action points:

·                That staff better tailor the Panui to its audience, namely Māori in Taitokerau.


Waiora Marae Te Taitokerau Maori and Council Working Party marae-based hui (Item 3.7)

The report was taken as read. Acknowledgement and thanks was given for the manaakitanga shown by the host marae, Ngataki. The value of marae-based hui, speaking kanohi ki te kanohi, was reiterated.

Agreed action points:

·                Staff to follow up suggestions around opportunities for further meetings and supporting RMA capacity-building for hapū/whanau.

·                If visiting a marae for a second time, that staff to provide a report back to the marae on what issues has been raised and addressed previously, and to TTMAC at the next meeting.


Update on Long Term Plan 2018-2028 (LTP) (Item 3.8)

The discussion about the LTP’s new Māori relationship spending included the continuing need for capacity building around resource consents, the appointment process for the new management role within the Māori engagement team, and support for scholarships and the Northland Māori Business Awards. There was also robust discussion on the need to improve the visibility of the link between TTMAC and MTAG’s recommendations and what the council’s final plans and policies delivered, especially where the advice given was not followed.

Agreed action points:

·                In future, provide a link between TTMAC and MTAG’s advice, and how their advice has been considered and incorporated into final plans and policies.

·                Staff to provide the recorded actions from MTAG’s LTP meetings.


Secretarial Note: Partway during this item, the meeting was adjourned for at 12.55 and reconvened at 1.25pm (for a lunch break).


Provincial Growth Fund (PGF): Council funding applications (Item 3.9)

The paper was taken as read with staff providing additional information about, in particular, the water storage and afforestation PGF applications, the need for central government direction around issues such as carbon credits, development of tourism products (Northland Inc Ltd) and community consultation. It was noted that the PGF didn’t compensate for the loss of four-laning to Auckland in terms of the resilience, economic development and safety of Taitokerau. Any members with opportunities to lobby government in this space were encouraged to do so.

Agreed action points:

·                The table provided in the paper needed to be amended in respect of Ngāti Rehia.


Update: 2018 Representation Arrangements Review (Item 3.10)

The discussion for this item focused more on Māori representation in local government than the report’s proposed changes to constituency boundaries, apart from a suggestion that the constituencies could be better named. Members saw value in having a collective korero about Māori representation in local government.

Agreed action points:

·                Recirculate the TTMAC paper regarding rationale for the decision not to have Māori representation on council.

·                Staff to prepare advice to council about establishing a working party to scope a kaupapa for a collective discussion about Māori representation.

·                Suggestions for constituency names need to come through the submission process, which closes on 24 July 2018.


Biosecurity update: Mycoplasma bovis and Myrtle Rust (Items 3.11 and 3.12)

The papers were taken as read. Key points covered in the discussion included acknowledgement of Ngāti Rehia’s biosecurity work around Myrtle Rust and a sanctuary for kauri, the poor response from Ministry for Primary Industries regarding recent Taitokerau biosecurity incursions, and correction of a media statement regarding the council’s mapping and community work around kauri dieback.

Agreed action points:

·                Staff will speak with Ngāti Rehia to see how the council might assist with their efforts to protect kauri, pohutukawa and ramarama from kauri dieback and Myrtle Rust respectively.


General business (Item 3.13)

There was a question regarding consents to extract kauri from the Hokianga. This was referred to the appropriate staff member.

Agreed action points:

·                The Consents Manager to follow up regarding consents to extract kauri from the Hokianga.




The meeting concluded at 3.20pm with a karakia by member Hohaia.