Natural Resources Working Party

Tuesday 4 September 2018 at 1.00 pm





Natural Resources Working Party

4 September 2018

Natural Resources Working Party Agenda


Meeting to be held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Tuesday 4 September 2018, commencing at 1.00 pm


Please note: working parties and working groups carry NO formal decision-making delegations from council. The purpose of the working party/group is to carry out preparatory work and discussions prior to taking matters to the full council for formal consideration and decision-making. Working party/group meetings are open to the public to attend (unless there are specific grounds under LGOIMA for the public to be excluded).


MEMBERSHIP OF THE Natural Resources Working Party

Chairman, Councillor Justin Blaikie

Councillor David Sinclair

Councillor R Stolwerk

Councillor Joce Yeoman

Councillor Bill Shepherd (Ex-Officio)

Non Elected Member from TTMAC




Item                                                                                                                                       Page

1.0    apologies   

2.0    declarations of conflicts of interest

3.0    Reports

3.1      Record of Actions from Previous Meeting and Matters Arising

a.         Staff to provide a high level analysis of the need and work required for Section 128 reviews of consents for farm dairy effluent discharges to water.  (Colin Dall)

b.        Environment Fund Criteria Review (Duncan Kervell)

Attachment 1       Record of Actions from previous Meeting                                                       3

3.2      Water Strategy and Communications/Engagement Plan

3.3      MPI Hill Country Erosion Fund

a.         $500k “boost” grant to NRC for 2018/2019

b.        Upcoming funding round

3.4      Update FIF Projects - Northern Wairoa and Dune Lakes

3.5      Ecosystem Prioritisation Project Update

3.6      Update on LTP River Management Works Progress

3.7      Juvenile Fish and Sub title Habitat   


Natural Resources Working Party  ITEM: 3.1

4 September 2018Attachment 1




Natural Resources Working Party


Discussion held in the Council Chambers, Northland Regional Council

on Tuesday 19 June 2018 commencing at 1.00 pm



Present: Justin Blaikie (Chair), Rick Stolwerk, Joce Yeoman, Bruce Howse, Bill Shepherd, Malcolm Nicolson, Colin Dall, Duncan Kervell, Lorna Douglas, Joe Camuso, Lisa Forester, Alison McHugh, Toby Kay, Ricky Eyre, Nola Sooner (Minute Taker)


Apologies: Nil


Additional matters to be discussed: Nil.




1.   Record of Actions from Previous Meeting & Matters Arising


Agreed action points

·    Deferred from previous meeting - Staff to provide a high level analysis of the need and work required for Section 128 reviews of consents for farm dairy effluent discharges to water.  Action:  Colin Dall

·    Actively target the lakes NRC is concerned about for riparian planting in a bid to deter swans/Canadian geese.  Action:  Lisa Forester

·    Contact Fish & Game to see if there is an opportunity to collaborate and address the Canadian geese issue.  Action:  Bruce Howse

·    Circulate Report by David Melvin re Culling of birds.  Action:  Lisa Forester

·    Staff to provide data on what NRC’s monitoring is showing re mosquito fish.  Action: Will Trusewich


* Dr Darren Parsons arrived


2.   Presentation of research by Dr Darren Parsons, NIWA re Juvenile Snapper research in Whangarei Harbour


Presented by:

Dr Darren Parsons



* Dr Darren Parsons left the meeting


3.   Tree Removal - Rivers


Presented by:

Bruce Howse



Agreed action points

·    The Natural Resources Working Party supported NRC’s approach to follow the Minor River Works – Guidelines. 


4.   Awanui Flood Scheme – Risk Update


Presented by:

Bruce Howse


5.   Update on Flood Hazard Maps for Waipu & Paparoa


Presented by:

Toby Kay


6.   Environment Fund Criteria Review


Presented by:

Duncan Kervell


Agreed action points

·    Develop new criteria and eligibility to be presented to the Natural Resources Working Party for consideration prior to presenting to Council (new criteria to be implemented in July 2019).  Action: Duncan Kervell


7.   Discussion on proposed Cyanobacteria Communication & Response Plan


Presented by:

Alison McHugh



8.   Update on Mair Bank Pipi


Presented by:

Ricky Eyre



9.   Shellfish Abundance Surveys – Introduce new target


Presented by:

Ricky Eyre


Agreed action points

·    The Natural Resources Working Party supported the focus on abundance surveys for cockle and pipi


10. Catchment Group Update


Presented by:

Duncan Kervell




11. Update on Grant Funded Projects

a.   Hatea

b.   Kaipara Hill Country Erosion Fund

c.   Freshwater Improvement Fund – Lakes & Northern Wairoa


Presented by:

Lorna Douglas, Duncan Kervell and Lisa Forester



12. Cost of Manuka Field Trials


Presented by:

Duncan Kervell


Agreed action points

·    Check with MPI, Dairy NZ, Living Waters, Fonterra and DOC re interest in the Manuka Field Trial.  Action:  Duncan Kervell



13. Discussion on Phosphorus Sequestration in Hypertrophic lakes idea using Azolla Pinnata


Presented by:

Justin Blaikie


Agreed action points

·    Contact Paul Champion – NIWA to ascertain interest in this topic.  Action:  Lisa Forester



Meeting closed: 4.15 pm