Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party

6 September 2018

Tuhituhi o ngā Mahi O Te Kāhui Māori O Taitokerau

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 6 September 2018, commencing at 11.00am

 

 

Tuhinga (Present):

Co-Chair, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Pita Tipene

Co-Chair, Councillor Paul Dimery

Councillor Mike Finlayson

Councillor Penny Smart

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Georgina Connelly

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Te Huranga Hohaia

Ngāti Kuta Patukeha, Shirley Hakaraia

Ngāti Tara, Victor Holloway

Ngāti Manu, Kitty Mahanga

Ngātiwai Trust Board, Henry Murphy

Te Parawhau Hapū Authority Charitable Trust, Mira Norris

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Nora Rameka

Te Whakapiko Hapū, Rowan Tautari

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Jaycee Tipene

Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Kuri/Te Hiku O Te Ika Marae Trust, Bundy Waitai

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Malcolm Welsh

 

I Tae Mai (In Attendance):

Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)

GM - Governance and Engagement

Kaiarahi Kaupapa Māori

Kaiarahi Tikanga Māori

PA/Team Admin Governance and Engagement

Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)

GM – Environmental Services

Biosecurity Manager, Biosecurity

Biosecurity Manager, Marine and Strategy, Biosecurity

Policy Development Manager, RPS, Planning and Policy

Resource Management Planning and Policy Manager

Policy Specialist, Water Quality, Planning and Policy

 

 

The hui commenced at 10.10am.

Karakia / Whakatau

Secretarial Note: The opening karakia and mihimihi by members Tipene, Holloway and Waitai were held at the beginning of the non-elected members caucus session.

New member, Jaycee Tipene representing Ngāti Hine, was introduced and welcomed.

Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)

NRC Chief Executive, Malcolm Nicolson

Chairman, Bill Shepherd

Councillor, Joce Yeoman

Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board, Juliane Chetham

Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa, Rihari Dargaville

Ngāti Kuta, Patukeha, Michelle Elboz

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi, Mike Kake

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpui, Fred Sadler

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Rudy Taylor

Co-Chair, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Pita Tipene (departed at 1pm)

Whakapuakanga o mua (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest) (Item 2.0)

It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the hui progressed.

Record of Actions – 5 July 2018 (Item 3.1)

The Record of Actions was agreed to be an accurate representation of the hui.

 

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party marae-based hui (Item 3.2)

The report was taken as read. Ngā mihi nui was expressed for the manaakitanga shown by the host, Te Uri o Hau. Group Manager  – Governance and Engagement also provided a verbal update on actions taken to support Te Uri o Hau’s vision for Ngā Uri o Hau Native Nursery’s application to the Provincial Growth Fund.

 

Recommendation to Council: Annual resolution to reform the Māori Technical Advisory Group (MTAG) (Item 3.3)

TTMAC Working Party agreed that having an annual quota, rather than set hui dates, would give MTAG more ability to provide input when there was a tight feedback timeframe.  Other matters regarding MTAG membership and process were also discussed such as concerns about the increased workload, ability to request additional hui, and quorum.

 

Agreed action points:

·                Put Māori Technical Advisory Group membership and process on TTMAC’s November hui agenda.

·                Staff to put a paper to October’s council meeting recommending that an annual quota of nine hui be set for MTAG to provide technical input into council’s plans and processes.

 

Non-elected membership on council's Pest Management Working Party (Item 3.4)

Is was agreed that members Holloway and Tipene-Thomas would replace members Harawene and Wells-Smith on council’s Pest Management Working Party.  It was also noted that, for members to participate as representatives on working parties, plenty of advance notice of hui dates was needed.

 

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party meetings schedule 2019 (Item 3.5)

The 2019 schedule of formal meetings was approved as follows:

 

Date

Venue

Thursday, 14 March 2019

Council Chambers

Thursday, 3 May 2019

Council Chambers

Thursday, 11 July 2019

Council Chambers

Thursday, 12 September 2019

Council Chambers

TBC,  depending on local government election outcomes.

Council Chambers

 

The following hosts have put themselves forward for 2019’s regional marae-based hui. This is subject to them confirming marae availability before or by the November TTMAC formal hui. Marae-based hui details will be confirmed closer to the hui.

 

Date 2019

Host

Thursday, 14 Feb 2019

Ngātiwai, member Murphy

Thursday, 11 April 2019

Te Ahu, member Holloway

Thursday, 13 June 2019

Ngāti Rehia, members Rameka, Hohaia

Thursday, 8 August 2019

Te Hiku, member Waitai

Thursday, October 2019

TBC, depending on local government election outcomes.

Agreed action point:

Confirm hui location and details.

 

Māori Technical Advisory Group: resource consents (Item 3.6)

This paper identified options for how council can better provide for tangata whenua input into the resource consent process, without any legislative change. The working party agreed to recommend to council that there be further investigation by MTAG and staff into all five options.

 

Agreed action point:

Staff to put a paper to October’s council meeting recommending that the following five options be further explored by MTAG and staff:

1.         Development of an online portal for non-notified resource consent information;

2.         Review of the Resource Consent Application form;

3.         Develop criteria to assess the identification of tangata whenua contacts to avoid overlapping interests;

4.         Holding workshops with iwi and hapū Environmental Management Plan groups that have lodged their plans with council to better understand the cultural values; and

5.         Develop a Cultural Effects Test document to assist council consents officers with the capture of cultural values and associated effects that can be taken into account under the Resource Management Act.

 

 

Māori Technical Advisory Group: Mana Whakahono a Rohe (Item 3.7)

It was agreed that the recommendations in the tabled paper, with some changes, go to October’s council meeting. The discussion mainly focused on how the council’s position of working at all levels of Māoridom worked in practice, the possibility of overlapping rohe claims, the distinction between iwi and hapū in the Resource Management Act 1991, and how iwi authorities are identified.

 

Agreed action point:

Staff to put a paper to October’s council meeting recommending:

1.              That Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party recommend to council that staff work with members Chetham, Murphy, Rameka and Tautari, to further refine a template for hapū based Mana Whakahono a Rohe for the purpose of informing council; and that

2.              A process/criterion for joining also be developed; and that

3.              The next draft be presented to the November Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party for consideration and a final draft to be put to the March 2019 meeting, prior to being presented to council. 

 

Presentation: Regional Recreational Water Quality: consultation (Item 3.8)

The council’s Resource Management Planning and Policy Manager received feedback from TTMAC on “Where’s your wai?”, an online consultation tool (beta version). The tool will collect data from the public about recreational and cultural water use in Taitokerau, which will help inform council activities. The tool was well supported, with comment that it should be permanently online. Other key points raised during the discussion included coastal monitoring of Māori land in summer, regulating the scattering of ashes at sea, and the difficulties farmers face when dealing with different council’s responsibilities for draining/flooding, especially of wetlands.

 

Agreed action point:

That the Māori Technical Advisory Group workshop the issue of how to prevent ashes being scattered at sea, and bring their recommendations back to TTMAC’s November  meeting.

 

At risk catchments (Item 3.9)

This paper was to inform and engage with TTMAC about the Ministry for the Environment (MfE) initiative to identify and report on ‘at risk’ catchments in each region. It was not possible for staff to properly engage with groups like TTMAC prior to sending MfE the draft ‘at risk’ list imposed by MfE. Members, however, indicated they wanted the opportunity to assist with subsequent refining of the list. Members also strongly objected to the timeline set by MfE which precluded proper engagement and didn’t provide information about the implications of identifying a catchment as ‘at risk’.

 

Agreed action points:

·                Member Tipene-Thomas, or another member, to attend the first workshop with MfE confirming ‘at risk’ catchments, and TTMAC to be informed of the date.

·                Member Connelly to provide any thoughts about Kaipara Harbour to member Tipene-Thomas.

·                That a letter to Minister for the Environment be drafted and circulated for comment to TTMAC, then signed by the Co-Chairs of TTMAC and sent. The thrust of the letter is that a timeframe that precludes proper consultation is unacceptable, as is not knowing the implications of identifying an area as ‘at risk’.

Secretarial Note: The meeting adjourned at 1.05pm for lunch and reconvened at 1.40pm.

 

Inter-regional marine pest pathway plan: discussion document (Item 3.10)

It was agreed to tautoko the recommendation that MTAG provide advice on the content of the discussion document and design of the associated consultation programme for an inter-regional marine pest pathway plan.

 

Agreed action points:

·                Ngāti Rehia to send their concerns about introduced marine pests and possible diseases at Tīti and Kerikeri inlet to staff, who will follow up.

·                Staff to forward NIWA researchers email to TTMAC members, seeking their kōrero about the impact of marine pests in their respective rohe moana.

 

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party's involvement in developing Council's Long Term Plan 2018-2028 (Item 3.11)

It was agreed to tautoko the recommendation in this paper – that the Māori Technical Advisory Group engage with staff to identify opportunities for improvement in how they provided input into the Long Term Plan process.

Agreed action point:

That the topic of opportunities for improvement in TTMAC engagement on the Long Term Plan be included on the next MTAG agenda.

Conclusion

The meeting concluded at 2.25pm with a karakia by member Waitai.