26 October 2018
Doubtless Bay Catchment Group Record of Actions
Mike Finlayson NRC Councillor (Chair)
Andreas Kurmann Far North Envirolab
Karen Lucich Summit Forests
Trudy Allen Hapu consultant - Taipa Marae
Jan Stensness Te Runanga-a-Iwi o Ngati Kahu
Wayne Parsonson Clean Waters to the Sea
Nuu Ward Te Hiku Community Board – Doubtless Bay
Gerald Messenger Taumarumaru Reserve
Stephen Tansey Clean Waters to the sea
Lester Bridson NRC – Land Management Advisor
Justin Murfitt NRC – Planning & Policy Manager
Jacque Knight Enviro schools
Helen Moodie Dairy NZ
Yvonne Steinemann Doubtless Bay Marine Protection Group
Shayne Storey DOC
The meeting commenced at 10 a.m.
The Doubtless Bay Catchment Working Group (DBWG) met on 26th October 2018. The topics for discussion included:
· Presentation from Landcare Research outlining the key findings from the literature review commissioned by the group.
· Presentation from NRC staff regarding online water quality consultation tool and an up-date on the FNDC District Plan review process and the opportunity for the DBWG to provide feedback to support objectives in Catchment Plan.
· Discussion regarding allocation of funding to projects that support objectives in Catchment Plan.
· Review Terms of Reference.
Following discussion, the Doubtless Bay Catchment Working Group provided advice on the following next steps:
· With the support of Landcare Research, the DBWG wish to pursue investigations into improved soil biological health as a tool for reducing nutrient and sediment loss on farms. Suatainable Farming Fund (SFF) identified as most relevant avenue to support.
· DBWG suggest leaving online fresh water quailty consultation tool open over the whole summer period to ensure maximum feedback.
· DBWG keen to fund schools and marae initiatives that support greater community engagement and improved water quality within the catchment.
Ngati Kahu feedback on draft Terms of Refrence document will be provided following consideration by Ngati Kahu iwi leaders forum. This feedback will be consolidated into new draft TOR for consideration by group.
The meeting concluded at 12.45pm