Mangere Catchment Group

26 November 2018

NORTHLAND REGIONAL COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Mangere Catchment Group workshop

held at Kokopu School, Whangarei on Monday 26 November 2018

Commencing at 6:30pm 

 

 

 

Group members and regular attendees

 

Present:

Shayne O’Shea                                             Dairy Farming

Susan Karels                                                   Lifestyle

            

In Attendance:

John Ballinger                                                Northland Regional Council        

 

Apologies:

Joce Yeoman                                                 NRC Councillor

Sharon Morgan                                             Whangārei District Councillor

Royce Kokich                                                 Dairy Farming

Chris Frost                                                       Horticulture

Helen Moodie                                               DairyNZ

Roger Holder                                                 Dairy Farming

Tania Pene                                                     Te Rūnanga Ā Iwi O Ngāpuhi

Hona Edwards                                               Te Uriroroi

Finnisha Turiwai-Birchall                           Te Parawhau

                                                                                       

 

Due to the low turnout, final decisions on the items listed in the agenda could not be made. John to prepare supporting information for each item and email to group participants. Group participants to read material and rank their preferred actions (1-5) listed under Item 3 before the next catchment meeting in February 2019.  

 

 

Item 1:        Apologies and welcome

The apologies were received.

 

 

Item 2:        Where’s your Wai?

 

John showed Shayne and Susan the councils app “Where’s your Wai?”, and encouraged them to log any freshwater sites that have significance to them.

 

 

 

 

Item 3:        Implementation of nonregulatory actions

 

There remains a balance of $8,561 (excluding GST) to be spent by 30th June 2019 on the implementation of non-regulatory actions as listed in the Mangere Catchment Plan. John put forward some potential ideas which were discussed below:

 

Planting days.

 

Signage

 

SHMAK kit

 

Elver transfer

 

Summer event

Poplars/willows for erosion control

 

 

Item 4:        Frequency of meetings

 

 

Actions:

a)       Whole group to network and send suggested planting site ideas to John in the next week. Looking for high profile sites that are already fenced on Kara Road and / or life style blocks and / or sheep and beef farmers.

b)      John/Susan to investigate design of a sign combining all collaborators e.g. Mangere Catchment Group, NRC, Enviroschools.

c)       John to contact Finnisha to see whether elver transfers are still taking place, and if so, how the catchment group might help.

d)      John to follow up with Judith Gatenby and Michael Waymouth (previous planting day with Kokopu School) to see how plants are faring.

 

Meeting closed at 19:15