Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party

8 November 2018

Tuhituhi o ngā Mahi O Te Kāhui Māori O Taitokerau

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party Record of Actions


Meeting held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 8 November 2018, commencing at 11.00am



Tuhinga (Present):

Co-Chair, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Pita Tipene

Co-Chair, Councillor Paul Dimery

Councillor Mike Finlayson

Councillor Bill Shepherd

Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board, Juliane Chetham

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Georgina Connelly

Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa, Rihari Dargaville

Ngāti Kuta, Patukeha, Michelle Elboz

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Te Huranga Hohaia

Ngātiwai Trust Board, Henry Murphy

Te Parawhau Hapū Authority Charitable Trust, Mira Norris

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Nora Rameka

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpui, Fred Sadler

Te Whakapiko Hapū, Rowan Tautari

Ngāti Tara, Victor Holloway



I Tae Mai (In Attendance):

Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)

NRC Chief Executive

GM –Strategy, Governance and Engagement

Kaiarihi – Kaupapa Māori

PA/Team Admin Strategy, Governance and Engagement


Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)

Trustee, Ngā Tirairaka o Ngāti Hine

Manager, Ngā Tirairaka o Ngāti Hine

Coastal and Water Quality Field Operations Manager

Maritime Manager

Regional Harbourmaster

Deputy Harbourmaster

GM, Māori Economic Development (Northland Inc)

Environmental Monitoring Officer



The meeting commenced at 11.10am.

Karakia / Whakatau

Secretarial Note: The opening karakia and mihimihi by members Tipene, Dargaville and Hohaia were held at the beginning of the non-elected members caucus session.

Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)

Clr Joce Yeoman

Clr Penny Smart

Ngāti Kuta Patukeha, Shirley Hakaraia

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi, Mike Kake

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Patu Hohepa

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Rudy Taylor

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine, Jaycee Tipene-Thomas

Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Kuri/Te Hiku O Te Ika Marae Trust, Bundy Waitai

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Malcolm Welsh

Whakapuakanga o mua (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest) (Item 2.0)

It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.


Record of Actions – 6 September 2018 (Item 3.1)

Key discussion points when reviewing the Record of Actions included:

·        It is important for hapū and whanau to understand the resource consent process, and that tools such as the online portal are developed to assist with access to information

·        Council’s view on iwi and hapū engagement and Mana Whakahono a Rohe agreements

·        Keeping to the March 2019 TTMAC meeting for presentation of the draft hapū based MWR template

·        That Northland’s Mayoral Forum is in discussion with an iwi leaders collective seeking to develop a relationship agreement

·        That members Connelly and Tipene-Thomas talk to each other with respect to the Kaipara Harbour being included as an At Risk Catchments by MfE.

Agreed action points:

·        That Patuharakeke will host the 6 December 2018 regional marae-based hui, starting with a tour of Northport and then to a hui at Takahiwai Marae, Ruakākā.


Working Party Updates (Item 3.2)

The paper was taken as read.


Non-elected membership on council's Planning Working Party (Item 3.3)

The paper was taken as read.

Agreed action points:

·        That Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party confirm member Holloway as a replacement for member Mahanga on council’s Planning Working Party.


Northland's oil pollution response capability (Item 3.4)

The Maritime Manager and Regional Harbourmaster provided a comprehensive presentation on oil pollution response capability. Key discussion points included:

·        NRC’s responsibilities under the Maritime Transport Act 1994 and how responses to oil spills are managed under a three-tiered system

·        Ships’ risk profiles and insurance, and how responses are funded to minimise costs to ratepayers should an accident happen

·        Phases of a response, how ongoing environmental costs are addressed, and how tangata whenua are engaged with if a spill happens

·        What has happened regarding various specific incidents: Niagara, Seawyf, Ningpo, Rina (Tauranga Moana)

·        That Maritime responses deal with anything that will end up in the marine environment.  Regulatory Services monitor consents for discharge of contaminants to land

·        Waste oil goes back to Marsden Point Refinery.


Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party marae-based hui (Item 3.5)

The Co-Chair Tipene spoke to the paper and welcomed the manager and a trustee from Ngā Tirairaka o Ngāti Hine to the meeting. Key discussion points included:

·        That the hui at Ōtīra Marae was a positive experience for all attendees

·        The importance of regional hui for council and tangata whenua to understand and better collaborate, and see how council’s plans and hapū environmental strategies are aligned

·        What role TTMAC and council can play in providing feedback on Environmental Management Plans, focusing on achieving outcomes.


Agreed action points:

·        For council to provide feedback on environmental management plans and assist with reviews of them, as appropriate and as sought from iwi and hapū.


Report: Māori Technical Advisory Group (Item 3.6)

Kaiarihi – Kaupapa Māori provided an update on the Māori Technical Advisory Group’s (MTAG) mahi. The importance of capturing the Māori voice in the ‘Where’s your wai’ online consultation was noted.

Agreed action points:

·        That Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party ask staff to contact the Ministry for the Environment to invite members of Kāhui Wai Māori – the Māori freshwater forum to attend a Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party meeting to discuss the purpose of the forum and the need for appropriate input from tangata whenua into Ministry for the Environment processes.

·        That the results of the recreational water use consultation be reported back to a subsequent Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party meeting, after further advice from the Māori Technical Advisory Group

·        That TTMAC consider how best to promote engagement with Māori in the Inter-regional marine pest management discussion document and how to support greater efforts to manage marine pests across all four regions at a meeting when the Biosecurity Manager can be present.

·        Recirculate the Where’s you wai’ online consultation link so members can promote it, and report back to TTMAC on the consultation’s results, especially with respect to Māori


Update: National hui on Māori representation (Item 3.7)

The paper confirmed that in response to TTMAC request for council to hold a hui on Maori Representation that council had decided to send a letter to LGNZ as a more appropriate national sector body to consider facilitating such a hui.

Agreed action points:

·        Staff to follow up on a response to council’s letter to LGNZ

·        Members Norris, Rameka, Sadler and Tipene to kōrero with other councils about hosting a national hui on Māori representation.


Shellfish abundance survey programme (Item 3.8)

Council’s Coastal and Water Quality Field Operations Manager sought and received TTMAC’s on the six proposed locations at which to commence NRC’s new estuarine shellfish abundance survey programme. Keys points in the kōrero included:

·        The importance of connecting with kaitiaki, sharing information and developing synergies around the health of kaimoana

·        Surveys will be able to show natural fluctuations in kaimoana and what populations are doing, which will help identify whether issues may be due to the environment or overfishing

·        What the different responsibilities of Fisheries New Zealand|Tini a Tangaroa (monitoring fish stocks) and regional councils’ (healthy ecosystems) are.

Agreed action points:

·        That Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party support the sites identified by staff

·        That staff to follow up on Te Uri o Hau’s offer to help support community monitoring

·        That staff identify what other funding might be available for this sort of research.   


Māori Technical Advisory Group membership (Item 3.9)

Council’s Kaiarahi – Kaupapa Māori spoke to this paper. The key point discussed was how to improve communication about MTAG and TTMAC’s input and outcomes, for example, in the Long Term Plan and Regional Plan processes.

Agreed action points:

·        That members Connelly and Sadler to replace members Miru and Shortland respectively on the Māori Technical Advisory Group.

·        That the topic ‘Measuring the Effectiveness of TTMAC and MTAG’s work’ be added as an item on the next TTMAC agenda. As part of that item, consider an annual report of TTMAC achievements to reflect the value of TTMAC’s mahi.


Letter of support for Dover Samuels (Item 3.10)

Member Rameka is preparing an application to have the mahi of Dover Samuels recognised in the Queen’s Birthday awards. It was agreed that a letter signed by the co-Chairs and NRC Chairman be prepared to tautoko the application.

Agreed action points:

·        Prepare and send a letter of support for member Rameka’s application for recognition of Dover Samuel’s mahi.



The meeting concluded at 1.30pm.