Pest Management Working Party

18 April 2019

Pest Management Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Kaipara Room

Northland Regional Council, 36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 18 April 2019, commencing at 1.00pm

 

Present:

Chairman, Councillor Mike Finlayson

Councillor Justin Blaikie

Councillor Rick Stolwerk

Nora Rameka (Non-Elected Member from TTMAC)

 

In Attendance:

Full Meeting

Bruce Howse, Group Manager - Environmental Services & Deputy CEO

Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Amélie Augé, Biosecurity Manager – Marine & Strategy

Adrian Peachey, Biosecurity Officer – Kauri Dieback

Nola Sooner, Environmental Services Group PA/Administrator (Record of Actions Taker)

Part Meeting

Natasha Stubbing, Marketing and Engagement Manager

 

The meeting commenced at 1.00 pm.

Apologies (Item 1.0)

Councillor Bill Shepherd (Ex-Officio)

 

Declarations of Conflicts of Interest (Item 3.1)

Presented by: Cr Mike Finlayson

There were no conflicts of interest declared.

 

Record of Actions from previous meeting & Matters Arising (Item 3.2)

Presented by: Cr Mike Finlayson

 

Presentation by Commercial Fisherman re new Marine Pests established in Hokianga Harbour (Item 3.3)

Agreed action points:

·                This Presentation was deferred to the next meeting of the Pest Management Working Party.  Action:  Cr Justin Blaikie

 

Community Engagement on Marine Biosecurity (Item 3.4)

Presented by: Cr Mike Finlayson & Amélie Augé, Biosecurity Manager – Marine & Strategy

A brief summary on community initiatives in relation to Marine Biosecurity was discussed.

Agreed action points:

·                NRC to continue to work and explore options with Papa Taiao Earthcare, a community group based in the Far North to see how NRC can increase community pest monitoring and link with Enviroschools.  Action:  Amélie Augé

·                Staff to look into the option of using freshwater sites e.g. moorings in rivers for marine pest management control.  Action:  Amélie Augé

 

Predator Free Northland PF2050 - Expression of Interest (Item 3.5)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Staff to provide an update to Councillors via email on the application process.  Action:  Don McKenzie

·                Staff to provide an update on Predator Free Northland PF2050 at the next meeting of the Pest Management Working Party.  Action:  Don McKenzie

 

Overview/Breakdown of Funding Allocation by area of LTP new Pest Management Fund (Item 3.6)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

 

Pig Control on Private Land surrounding Northland's Kauri Forests (Item 3.7)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Staff to continue to liaise with Ministry of Social Development to discuss youth training schemes.  Action:  Bruce Howse

 Conclusion

The meeting concluded at 2.32pm.