Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party

2 May 2019

Tuhituhi o ngā Mahi O Te Kāhui Māori O Taitokerau

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 2 May 2019, commencing at 11am

 

 

Tuhinga (Present):

Co-Chair, Councillor Paul Dimery

Councillor Mike Finlayson (part meeting)

Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board, Juliane Chetham

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Georgina Connelly

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Patu Hohepa

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi, Mike Kake

Ngātiwai Trust Board, Henry Murphy

Te Parawhau Hapū Authority Charitable Trust, Mira Norris

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Nora Rameka

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpui, Fred Sadler

Te Whakapiko Hapū, Rowan Tautari

Hokianga o Ngā Hapū Whānau, Rudy Taylor

Ngā Hapū o Ngāti Kuri/Te Hiku O Te Ika Marae Trust, Bundy Waitai

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Malcolm Welsh (part meeting)

Ngāti Tara, Victor Holloway

 

I Tae Mai (In Attendance):

Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)

NRC Chief Executive

GM – Strategy, Governance and Engagement

Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)

Kaiarahi – Kaupapa Māori

GM – Environmental Services

Strategy Policy and Planning Manager

Land Management Advisor – Freshwater Management

Lakes Catchment Advisor

Natural Resources Science Manager

Marketing and Engagement Manager

 

The meeting commenced at 11.10

Secretarial Note:

·        Member Taylor was acting Co-Chair on behalf of member Tipene

·        Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party and Māori Technical Advisory Group are abbreviated as TTMAC and MTAG respectively throughout this Record of Actions.

Karakia / Whakatau

The opening karakia and mihimihi by members Sadler and Waitai were held at the beginning of the non-elected members caucus session.

Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)

Co-Chair, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine,  Pita Tipene

Councillor Bill Shepherd

Councillor Penny Smart

Councillor Joce Yeoman

Ngāti Kuta, Patukeha, Michelle Elboz

Ngāti Kuta Patukeha, Shirley Hakaraia

 

Whakapuakanga o mua (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest) (Item 2.0)

It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.

 

Record of Actions – 14 March 2019 (Item 3.1)

It was agreed that the Record of Actions was an accurate representation of the meeting.

Member Chetham provided a progress update on the Māori in Local Government Symposium, advising they have secured $25,000 ($5,000 from Northland Regional Council) of the $30,000 funding required and the likely date is 21 June 2019, dependent on Minister Mahuta’s availability. The next step is to complete the programme, which will be communicated back to council and TTMAC through member Chetham as there is no formal meeting before the symposium.

Agreed action points: Nil

 

Presentation: What support is available for Māori through MfE (MfE availability TBC) (Item 3.2)

Presented by: Lorena Stephen, Director of RMA Practice, and Robert McLean from Ministry for the Environment (MfE) advised on what MfE is currently focusing on, and received feedback from TTMAC about Mana Whakahono a Rohe and how to support Resource Management Act (RMA) capability-building for Māori iwi/hapū.  MfE also advised that they are trialling quarterly regional catch-ups and will give more notice in the future.

Agreed action points:

·              Staff to liaise regarding future MfE quarterly hui.

 

Northland Inc Presentation (Item 3.3)

Presented by: Northland Inc Chairperson, Sarah Petersen, and Director, Kris McDonald.  Presented on the role of the Board, objectives and current strategic approach of Northland Inc. Members who had experience of NINC commented positively and all acknowledged the importance of creating employment and opportunities for Māori business that didn’t exploit the Māori sector or whenua, and in a way that was equitable across the whole of Te Hiku o Te Ika.

Agreed action points:

·              NINC to return in three months to provide an update.

 

Update: Māori Technical Advisory Group (Item 3.4)

Presented by: Kaiarahi – Kaupapa Māori.

The paper was taken as read.

Agreed action points:

·              An MTAG meeting will take place before the next TTMAC formal meeting . Current work being considered:

o   Completion of the Mana Whakahono a Rohe single hapū based agreement

o   Ongoing work on council consent processing

o   Review of the effectiveness of TTMAC

o   Mātauranga Māori.

 

Workshop: Review of Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party (Item 3.5)

Presented by: Kaiarahi – Kaupapa Māori led a brief workshop on a review of TTMAC. The information will be included in a wider governance review that will help inform the incoming council elected in October 2019’s local body elections. A survey has been sent to members and the feedback from both the survey and the workshop will go to MTAG for them to consider and make recommendations back to TTMAC.

Agreed action points:

·              MTAG to review the feedback from the workshop and survey and come back to the July TTMAC meeting with recommendations.

 

Mātauranga Māori (Item 3.6)

Presented by: Kaiarahi Kaupapa Māori. The paper sought to highlight various legislative provisions, plans and funding agreements that refer to Mātauranga Māori and to seek TTMAC support for MTAG to consider and provide feedback to TTMAC on how council can best support and align the implementation of these requirements.

Agreed action points:

·              That TTMAC support MTAG to work with staff to further investigate and provide guidance on how council should fulfil its role and responsibilities to support, facilitate and implement a Mātauranga Māori monitoring framework within Te Taitokerau.

·              That TTMAC recommends to council that Kipa Munro be added as an additional member to MTAG and take a paper to council.

 

Secretarial Note: The meeting adjourned at 1.15pm for hākari and reconvened at 1.45pm. Members Kake and Connelly departed at 2pm.

 

Working Party Updates (Item 3.7)

The paper was taken as read.

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Report: Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party marae-based hui, hosted at Parapara Marae (Item 3.8)

Presented by: Member Holloway provided a summary of the April 2019 marae-based hui hosted by Ngāti Tara at Parapara marae, Taipā. 

The next marae-based hui is being hosted by Ngāti Rehia at Takou Marae. 

Agreed action points:

·              Staff to work with Ngāti Rehia to facilitate the regional marae-based hui in June.

 

Natural resource planning work programme (Item 3.9)

Presented by: Strategy Policy and Planning Manager. The paper presented council’s future natural resource planning work programme and was taken as read.

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Northland Regional Council Environmental Awards (Item 3.10)

Presented by: GM Strategy, Governance and Engagement.  The report highlighted the award categorises, that there were over 90 nominations for the awards, and that member Mike Kake participated in the judging on behalf of TTMAC. The awards ceremony is on 23 May 2019.

 

Conclusion

The meeting concluded at 2.35pm with a karakia by member Sadler.