5 June 2019
Kaeo River - Whangaroa Catchment Working Group Record of Actions
Justin Blaikie Chair
Geoff Stone (Community representative - Taupo Bay, Pupuke, Totara North, Matangirau, Tauranga Bay, Mahinepua, Te Ngaire and ratepayers outside of the Kaeo River catchment)
Michael Hayes (Whangaroa Ward farming representative)
Ngaere Manning (Ratepayer representative – flood plain and catchment area from Waiare Road to Whangaroa Harbour to the Kaeo River – Whangaroa Catchment)
Stephen Rush (Representing Te Runanga 0 Whaingaroa)
Colleen Dilworth (Representing Ministry of Education/Whangaroa College/Kaeo Primary School)
Kelly Stratford FNDC Councillor
NRC staff: Bruce Howse, Joseph Camuso, Doug Foster, Sher Khan
FNDC staff Steven Smith, Michael Fox
Ian Hayes Member of the public
Robert Rush Member of the public
Roger Kingi Member of the public
Liarne McManus Member of the public
Haumia Roberts Member of the public
The meeting commenced at 10.30am.
Apologies (Item 1.0)
Tania McInnes FNDC Councillor
Dave Hookway FNDC Councillor
Bruce Mills (Representing Business and commercial interests within Kaeo and FNDC Community Board)
Stephen Little FNDC Staff
Eleanor Hawkes Member of the public
Kevin Herewini Member of the public
Angela Norman Member of the public
Presented by: Cr Justin Blaikie
The Record of Actions from the meeting held on 06 July 2018 were received.
Summit Forestry have completed harvest and planting for the Shepherd’s block.
NZTA is in the design phase for the Kaeo bridge and expected to have a design completed in July 2019. It was noted that a blessing for soil testing was held at the rugby club.
Presented by: Joseph Camuso
The budget for 2018-2019 was summarised and accepted as read.
That a line item be added to the Kaeo Budget representing the Whangaroa Catchment Working Group agreement to earmark $50,000 from the surplus budget to address ongoing flooding issues at Matangirau, for a bridge upgrade if required. Action: Doug Foster
Post meeting note:
The reserve balance of $190,795 is correct, the Kaeo River Reserve closed 2017-18 with a $137,818 balance. It is noted that this is not the final position and we expect approximately $20,000 in invoicing from maintenance work in May.
Presented by: Doug Foster
An update was provided on maintenance work 2017-2018 and proposed works for 2018-2019.
Ian Hayes noted that Willow removal in parts of the Kaeo River are required. Action Doug Foster
Roger noted that trees removed from previous works in Matangirau need to be burned. It was decided that this could be completed in conjunction with the proposed benching works. Action: Doug Foster
Long Term Plan Project
Presented by: Joseph Camuso and Sher Kahn
Joseph and Sher presented the modelling results. Modelling options included:
1. Pre-base – Without a road or Bridge
2. Base case – With Road and Bridge – Status Quo
3. Floodway – Floodway only
4. Floodway with additional Bridge
Agreed action points:
· Council to provide Flood Depth Maps to assist the Architect to design appropriate floor levels for the new Marae. Action: Joseph Camuso
· Council to provide cadastral maps showing works foot print for cut and fill Action: Joseph Camuso
· Council to provide landowner details for works foot print. Action: Joseph Camuso
· Council to draft a standard landowner from of agreement for the works to have on hand for next Hui: Action: Joseph Camuso
· Council to provide examples of benching from other jobs: Action: Joseph Camuso
Any Other Business
· Council and Community to start work for:
o Resource consent and affected parties forms
o Archaeologist study
o Community to meet with landowners to discuss the proposal
Agreed action points:
· That the Kaeo River – Whangaroa Catchment Working Group supports feedback from Council regarding the National Environmental Standards – Production Forestry (NES-PF): Action: Bruce Howse
· Second Hui to held as soon as possible, Nola to circulate suitable dates: Action: Nola Sooner
The meeting concluded at 12.15pm.