Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party

12 November 2020

Tuhituhi o ngā Mahi O Te Kāhui Māori O Taitokerau

Te Taitokerau Māori and Council Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Council Chamber

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Thursday 12 November 2020, commencing at 11.00am - 3.30pm

 

 

Tuhinga (Present):

Co-Chair,  Marty Robinson

Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Hine Pita Tipene

Councillor Colin Kitchen (part meeting)

Councillor Amy Macdonald

Councillor Penny Smart

Councillor Rick Stolwerk

Councillor Joce Yeoman

Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust, Georgina Connelly

Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa, Rihari Dargaville

Te Parawhau Hapū Authority Charitable Trust, Mira Norris

Te Rūnanga O Ngāti Rehia, Nora Rameka

Te Whakapiko Hapū, Rowan Tautari (part meeting)

Ngāti Tara, Victor Holloway

Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi, Janelle Beazley

Ngātiwai Trust Board, Hadyn Edmonds (part meeting)

Te Roroa, Thomas Hohaia

Te Rūnanga O Whāingaroa, Hoki Tua (proxy)

Te Waiariki, Ngāti Korora, Ngāti Takapari, Anameara Kake

 

I Tae Mai (In Attendance):

Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)

NRC Chief Executive

GM – Environmental Services

GM – Strategy Governance and Engagement

Kaiwhakahaere Honongā Māori – Māori Relationships Manager

Kaiārahi – Tikanga Māori

Kaiārahi – Kaupapa Māori

PA/Team Admin Strategy Governance and Engagement

Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)

Economist

Strategic Policy Specialist

Organisational Project Manager

Policy Specialist

Policy Specialist

Natural Resources Monitoring Manager

GM Regulatory Services

 

The meeting commenced at 11.05.

Karakia / Whakatau

The karakia and mihi whakatau were done for the meeting in the non-elected members caucus session prior to the formal meeting.

Secretarial Note: It is with deep sadness that we advise that a mighty ‘Totara’ of Te Taitokerau and Co-Chair of TTMAC, Rudy Taylor, passed away soon after this meeting on 16 November 2020.

Ngā Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)

Co-Chair, Te Whakaminenga O Te Hikutu Hapu-Whanau, Rudy Taylor

Councillor Jack Craw

Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board, Juliane Chetham

Ngāti Kuta, Patukeha, Michelle Elboz

Te Rūnanga O Whaingaroa Toa Faneva

Te Rūnanga Nui o Te Aupōuri

Nga whakapuakanga (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest) (Item 2.0)

It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.

 

Record of Actions – 10 September 2020 (Item 4.1)

It was agreed that the Record of Actions was an accurate reflection of the meeting.

 

Māori Representation: Māori constituencies (Item 4.2)

Presented by: Kaiwhakahaere Honongā Māori – Māori Relationships Manager. Council decided at its October meeting to establish Māori constituencies for the 2022 and 2025 local body elections. An overview was provided of the issues that will need to be worked through, the key statutory processes and dates, and opportunities for TTMAC to inform council’s decisions.  The Deputy Co-Chair, Pita Tipene, acknowledged on behalf of tāngata whenua members, the courage of the council in moving the region forward in a way based on Te Tiriti o Waitangi and He Whakaputanga, by voting for Māori constituencies.

Agreed action points:

·                E tautoko mārika ana te Huihuinga o te Kahui Māori o Te Taitokerau i te whakatau o te Kaunihera a Rohe o Te Taitokerau kia toka ake ngā tūru Māori hei whakawaha I ngā kaupapa taketake puta noa i Te Tai Tokerau

·                For the Māori Technical Advisory Group to meet and consider the options and form a view/strategy regarding the number of constituencies  (i.e., “all of Northland”, multiple Māori constituencies, a phased approach) by the end of November 2020

·                That MTAG’s view on the number of constituencies be considered at a further workshop of TTMAC tāngata whenua members and that feedback on the options regarding key decisions on Māori constituencies be provided to the next council meeting

·                That a letter now be sent to the Minister for Local Government advising of council’s decision to establish Māori constituencies, to request that the Local Electoral Act 2001 be changed to remove poll provisions.

 

Secretarial Note: Kaipara District Council and Whangārei District Council have subsequently voted in favour of Māori wards. Far North District Council decided to have a binding poll at the 2022 local government elections.

Freshwater Plan Change - Maori Engagement and Tāngata Whenua Water Advisory Group (Item 4.3)

Presented by: Policy Specialist. This paper sought TTMAC endorsement to appoint fifteen, rather than twelve, members to the Tāngata Whenua Water Advisory Group (TWW-AG). The TWW-AG is part of council’s approach to Māori engagement in the freshwater plan change required by the National Policy Statement Freshwater Management that came into force on 3 September 2020. TTMAC agreed with the recommendation. During discussion, however, concern was raised about the applications – that the net cast didn’t gather the right fish. It was, therefore, agreed to extend the application period by one week and reconvene the selection panel to confirm the appointees.

Agreed action points:

·                TTMAC endorsed the Selection Panel’s recommendation to appoint twelve members to the Tāngata Whenua Water Advisory Group in addition to the three TTMAC members already selected, to make a total of fifteen members. A paper will go to council incorporating TTMAC’s feedback on this

·                That the application period be extended by one week and, following that, the selection panel reconvene and confirm the appointees taking into account any additional applications received.

 

Endorsement of action from September's meeting regarding economic development sub-group (Item 4.4)

Presented by: Meeting Support. At the previous TTMAC formal meeting, there wasn’t a quorum to endorse the action of establishing a tāngata whenua economic development subgroup to work with Northland Inc on input into their annual Statement of Intent and overall economic development strategy. This paper sought endorsement of the action.

Agreed action points:

·                That a maximum six-member tāngata whenua economic development subgroup be formed to work with Northland Inc on input into their annual Statement of Intent and overall economic development strategy, comprising:

a. Pita Tipene

b. Janelle Beazley

c. Rihari Dargaville

d. Nora Rameka.

 

Meeting schedule for 2021 (Item 4.5)

Presented by: Kaiwhakahaere Honongā Māori. Taken as read.

Agreed action points:

·         That the meeting dates for 2021 are as follows (all fall on the second Thursday of the month):

11 February (formal meeting)

11 March (workshop)

8 April (formal meeting)

13 May (workshop)

10 June (formal meeting)

8 July (workshop)

12 August (formal meeting)

9 September (workshop)

14 October (formal meeting)

11 November (workshop)

9 December (formal meeting).

 

Regional Marae-based Hui (Item 4.6)

Presented by: Kaiarahi – Tikanga Māori | Cultural Advisor. This report provided a high level review of the 2020 hui programme and sought TTMAC’s views on how the delivery and effectiveness of the 2021 programme might be improved.

Agreed action points:

·         That the 2021 regional marae-based hui host will be set as per the following schedule:

a.       13 May hui location to be agreed at the 11 February formal meeting

b.       8 July hui location to be agreed at the 8 April formal meeting

c.       9 September hui location to be agreed at the 10 June formal meeting

d.       11 November hui location to be agreed at the 12 August formal meeting;

·         That Ngāti Tara will confirm their availability to host the 11 March hui (a change from 11 February)

·         That staff will work alongside the Māori Technical Advisory Group to provide recommendations as to how the effectiveness of marae-based hui can be improved.

 

Taitokerau water resilience (Item 4.7)

Presented by: Natural Resources Policy Manager, Acting GM Strategy Governance and Engagement. The presentation covered the current state of water resources, outlook for the summer, and an overview of what’s being done to reduce the risk of droughts, such as a community bore/tank scheme, improved public water supplies, a proposed Tai Tokerau Water Resilience Working Group and funding for water storage projects. The presentation also advised on the government’s direction around Te Mana o te Wai which states that the hierarchy of obligations is:

1.       The health and mauri of the wai

2.       Providing for essential human health, such as safe drinking water

3.       For other uses, e.g. economic benefit, provided that it does not adversely impact the mauri of the wai.

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Update on the Long Term Plan (LTP) (Item 4.8)

Presented by: Kaiārahi – Kaupapa Māori. This presentation recapped the LTP 2021-31 process to date, what will likely be taken to consultation driven by TTMAC’s LTP process, the remaining phases of the process (public consultation, deliberation and adoption). The key message was that the outcome and impact of the work done by MTAG and endorsed by TTMAC will improve long term community wellbeing. 

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Coastal Occupation Charges (Item 4.9)

Presented by: Policy Specialist. This presentation provided an overview of the concept of coastal occupation charges (COCs) and sought initial views from TTMAC members about the possibility introducing them in Taitokerau. Acknowledging that there were many aspects to this kōrero – from existing non-notified jetty and wharves to council processes – TTMAC were supportive of council considering further the introduction of coastal occupation charges.

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Regional marae-based hui report (Item 4.10)

This item was taken as read.

Agreed action points: Nil.

 

Updates from other working parties (Item 4.11)

This item was taken as read, with verbal updates provided by councillor Joce Yeoman, Chair of the Planning and Regulatory Working Party and Victor Holloway for the Water and Land Working Party.

Agreed action points:

·                Meeting Support to follow up a query from member Holloway to the Chair of the Water and Land Working Party.

 

Any other business (Item 4.12)

Nil.

 

 

Conclusion

The meeting concluded at 3.07pm.