Climate Change Working Party

10 March 2021

Climate Change Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Ngunguru Meeting Room

36 Water Street, Whangārei

on Wednesday 10 March 2021, commencing at 9.30am

 

 

Present:

Chairperson, Councillor Amy Macdonald

Councillor Joce Yeoman

Councillor Jack Craw

Councillor Marty Robinson

Ex Officio Penny Smart

TTMAC representative Thomas Hohaia

TTMAC representative Rowan Tautari

 

In Attendance:

Full Meeting

NRC, Group Manager – Environmental Services

NRC, PA – Environmental Services

Councillor Terry Archer

NRC, Natural Hazards Advisor

NRC, Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

NRC, Strategy Policy Specialist

 

Part Meeting

CEO – Northland Regional Council

 

The meeting commenced at 9:30.

Apologies (Item 1.0)

TTMAC representative Hadyn Edmonds

 

Secretarial note: Asha Anderson addressed the Working Group on a range of concerns and suggestions - the use of chemical sprays for weed control in public spaces, and the wider environmental and social impacts of those chemicals.

Action: Contact Asha to thank her for the presentation and ask her to please send through the supporting information that we can share with working party members – Leah Porter

 

Climate Change Commission Advice - Joint Submission (Item 4.1)

Presented by: Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

Agreed action points:

·                Review consistency of terms used throughout the submission – Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

·                Any feedback on additional inclusions please send to Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

·                Follow-up discussion about zooming with Phil Wiles from the Climate Change Commission - Cr Amy Macdonald, Chair Penny Smart, Group Manager – Environmental Services

 

NRC Zero Carbon Transition (Item 4.2)

Presented by: Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

Agreed action points:

·                Talk to Chris Powell around likely implementation of electric buses – Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

 

Regional Updates (Item 4.3)

Presented by: Climate Change Resilience Coordinator

Agreed action points:

·                No actions required

 

RMA Reform (Item 4.4)

Presented by: Justin Murfitt

Agreed action points:

·                Look at how we can ensure timely engagement with TTMAC and MTAG on draft submissions for upcoming legislative changes – Cr Marty Robinson, Group Manager – Environmental Services

 

Business with Public Excluded (Item 4.5)

Recommendations

1.              That the public be excluded from the proceedings of this meeting to consider confidential matters.

2.              That the general subject of the matters to be considered whilst the public is excluded, the reasons for passing this resolution in relation to this matter, and the specific grounds under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 for the passing of this resolution, are as follows:

Item No.

Item Issue

Reasons/Grounds

4.5

Coastal Hazard Maps

The public conduct of the proceedings would be likely to result in disclosure of information, the withholding of which is necessary to protect information which is subject to an obligation of confidence or which any person has been or could be compelled to provide under the authority of any enactment, where the making available of the information would be likely otherwise to damage the public interest s7(2)(c)(ii).

3.              That the Independent Financial Advisors be permitted to stay during business with the public excluded.

Agreed action points:

·                Ensure Councillors are briefed on the hazard map content being published online and how the map viewer works, prior to public release – Climate Change Resilience Coordinator/ Group Manager – Environmental Services

·                Present the maps and communication approach to TTMAC prior to public release – Climate Change Resilience Coordinator/Group Manager – Environmental Services

 

Conclusion

The meeting concluded at 11:47.