Kaihū River Working Group

13 August 2021

Kaihū River Working Group Record of Actions


Meeting held in the SEED Community & Business Hub:

Fosters Arcade,

42 Victoria Street, Dargaville

on Friday 13 August 2021, commencing at 10am-12pm




Chair, Penny Smart

Ratepayer Representative Area 1 John Murray

Ratepayer Representative Area 2 Bryce Wyatt

Ratepayer Representative Area 3, Boyd Parker

Te Houhanga Marae representative, Des Subritzky

Te Roroa Representative, Snow Tane


I Tae Mai/In Attendance:

Full Meeting

David Wills

Colin Macdonald

Ray Bryant

NRC Rivers and Natural Hazards Manager, Joe Camuso

NRC River Management Engineer, Victoria Rowe

NRC PA Environmental Services, Erica Wade



The meeting commenced at 10.00.

Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)

Ngā Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)

KDC, Karen Joyce-Paki 


Record of Actions – 26 June 2020 (Item 3.1)

Presented by: Penny Smart

Agreed action points:

·            Update the ‘Present’ list from the meeting on 26 June 2020 – Ian Lupton had passed away and Boyd Parker did not attended.





Matters Arising from Minutes (Item 4.0)

Presented by: <<enter name of councillor/staff who leads discussion>>

Maropiu Bridge – work completed to clear under the bridge however, under the advice from previous NRC Engineer, two trees did not get removed when they should have while the equipment was there.  Need to make sure this doesn’t happen with future works.

Agreed action points:

·            Nil



Rain Event July 2020  (Item 5.0)

Presented by: Joe Camuso

PowerPoint presentation on rainfall.

Agreed action points:

·            Nil


Budget 2020/2021 (Item 6.0)

Presented by: Joe Camuso

Consultants have reported back on the culverts where the road was raised.   Conclusion was that there would be no difference to water flow if culverts were enlarged.

Variance in the report is from not completing one spray and no-tree removal due to Covid.

Agreed action points:

·            Increase budget for tree removal to $20k this year.  Include a trial on an area of cutting and pasting stumps.


Works Update 2020/2021 (Item 7.0)

Presented by: Victoria Rowe/Penny Smart

Bull rush on marae side coming through; more efficient to use helicopter?  EPA guidelines quite strict.

Agreed action points:

·            Willows growing south of Mamaranui Bridge, these need to be removed (drill and fill) before they get to big.

·            Machinery used is to be fit for purpose and not use undersized gear.  18-20t digger.  Trees to be cut to a length that can be handled by a tractor for burning later.

·            DOC protecting endangered plant that is growing near the ‘bottleneck’ area, Staff will contact Andrew Knock (DOC).

·            Culvert across stream to bottleneck is clogged.  Joe will liaise with John

·            Draft up contract for machine cleaning right bank, tree removal and boat spraying.  Some spraying will need to be done twice, generally in spring and again in Feb/March.  

·            Staff will cost up and circulate works plan and will give time for feedback before moving forward with work plan.


Boat Inspection and Proposed Works Programme  (Item 8.0)

Presented by: Victoria Rowe

Agreed action points:

·            How can we record and capture historical records/stories i.e from Bryce/Des

·            Look at filling the low spot at Duck Creek.  This could be done when digger is working.  Will require the new land owner approval to access (Boyd Christianson). 

·            Look at spraying the tree in the river near John’s place.  Leave the ones on the bank.

·            Little rice grass on left side, no need to spray this year.

·            Contact Pera Paniora (Lawyer at WRMK Lawyers), marae trustee, for approval to remove the pine trees on the marae and replace with natives.



Northland Irrigation Study Update (Item 9.0)

Presented by: Joe Camuso

July Newsletter issued. 

Agreed action points:

·            Nil



Any Other Business (Item 10.0)

Presented by: Penny Smart

Agreed action points:

·            How is NRC monitoring users of the Kaihu River.  Lots of people/organisations wanting access to Kaihu, what are potential ramifications for the farmers use?  .  Penny will sought info and distribute to group. 

·            Cycleway – Joe is in touch with KDC engineers for NRC requirements. 

·            Boat inspection trip to  occur prior to next meeting. 

·            NRC’s   Bio-security team has suggested two sprays per year Nov and Mar.  Book in and schedule now before contractors get busy.


Whakamutunga (Conclusion)

The meeting concluded at 12.00 pm.