20 September 2021
Kaipara Moana Remediation Joint Committee Minutes
Deputy Chair, Chair Penny Smart
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua Tame Te Rangi
NRC Councillor Amy Macdonald
Auckland Council Councillor Daniel Newman
Ngā Maunga Whakahī o Kaipara, Cherie Povey
Auckland Council Councillor Greg Sayers
Ngā Maunga Whakahī o Kaipara, Jane Sherard
Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whātua Virginia Warriner
Te Uri o Hau Malcolm Welsh
Te Uri o Hau Willie Wright
NRC Councillor Joce Yeoman
Rodney Local Board Member Danielle Hancock
I Tae Mai (In Attendance):
Alan Wilcox – Acting Pou Tātaki
John Hutton – Strategic Business Manager Kaipara Maurikura
Duncan Kervell - Land and Catchments Projects Contractor
Sandra Harris – Administrator Kaipara Maurikura
Malcolm Nicolson - NRC
The Chair declared the meeting open at 10.00am.
The Chair extended a welcome to new Joint Committee member Danielle Hancock, Rodney Local Board Member.
Ngā whakapahā/Apologies (Item 1.0)
There were no apologies.
Nga whakapuakanga (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest)
It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.
Report from Sandra Harris, Administration Kaipara Moana Remediation Programme
That the minutes of the Kaipara Moana Remediation Joint Committee meeting held on 22 July 2021, be confirmed as a true and correct record.
Secretarial Note: Amendments were noted on Mover and Seconder 4.1, 5.1
Report from Emily Peng, Alan Wilcox Associates
Moved (Sherard / Smart)
1. That the report ‘Whenua Whānui Fund’ by Emily Peng, Alan Wilcox Associates and dated 13 September 2021, be received.
2. That the revised name for the grant scheme, ‘Whenua Whānui Fund’, be adopted, formerly known as ‘Hapu and Community partnership Scheme’.
3. That the key principles and criteria for the Whenua Whānui Fund are adopted.
4. That for the current financial Year all applications for funding under this scheme will be brought to the Joint Committee for its approval.
Secretarial Note: Amendments were made to resolutions 2, and 4 following conversation of the Joint Committee members.
Report from Sana Lavai Motlagh, Alan Wilcox Associates
1. That the report ‘In-Kind Contribution Process’ by Sana Lavai Motlagh, Alan Wilcox Associates and dated 13 September 2021, be received.
2. That the ‘Qualifying In-kind Contributions’ under Appendix 1 be approved.
3. That a set of rules be developed for a graduated system to quantify in-kind contributions.
4. That the KMR consults representatives of contributor groups to ensure the in-kind contribution process is effective and equitable.
5. That the approach taken be submitted to the Ministry for the Environment for its consideration and feedback.
6. That approval by the Kaipara Moana Remediation Joint Committee to amend the in-kind contribution process will be sought if changes are proposed.
Secretarial Note: Amendments were made to resolutions 4 following conversation of the Joint Committee members.
Secretarial Note: the Chair in putting the motion called for an expression of opinion by show of hands.
(Joint Committee members Te Rangi, Smart, Macdonald, Newman, Povey, Sherard, Warriner, Welsh, Wright, Yeoman and Hancock voted in favour. Councillor Sayers voted against)
Report from John Hutton, Strategic Business Manager, Kaipara Maurikura
Moved (Macdonald / Sherard)
1. That the report ‘Kaipara Moana Remediation Programme draft Annual Report’ by John Hutton, Strategic Business Manager, Kaipara Maurikura and dated 13 September 2021, be received.
2. That the ‘Draft Annual Report’ document, tabled on 20 September 2021, be approved in principle.
3. Delegate to the Chair and Deputy Chair power to approve a final draft of the Annual Report for provision to the Ministry for the Environment, with the ability of the Pou Tātaki to make minor editorial changes prior to publication if required.
Report from Alan Wilcox, Acting Pou Tātaki
This report by Alan Wilcox, Acting Pou Tātaki was tabled and discussed at the meeting.
The meeting concluded at 12.06pm.