DRAFTBiosecurity and Biodiversity Working Party

13 October 2021

Biosecurity and Biodiversity Working Party Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Remotely

on Wednesday 13 October 2021, commencing at 1.00pm

 

 

Tuhinga/Present:

Chairperson, NRC Councillor Jack Craw

Councillor Justin Blaikie

Councillor Marty Robinson

Councillor Rick Stolwerk

Ex Officio Penny Smart

 

 

I Tae Mai/In Attendance:

Full Meeting

NRC Poutiaki Taiao - GM Environmental Services, Jonathan Gibbard

NRC Biosecurity Manager, Don McKenzie

NRC Biodiversity Manager, Lisa Forrester

NRC Biosecurity Manager - Marine, Kathryn Lister

NRC Biosecurity Manager - Incursions & Response, Vivienne Lepper

NRC Biosecurity Manager – Weeds & Freshwater, Joanna Barr

NRC Biosecurity Specialist - Predator Free, Ripley Dean

NRC Biodiversity Specialist – Freshwater, Jacki Byrd

NRC Policy Specialist, James Griffin

NRC Biosecurity Officer – Systems Support, Louise Orford

NRC Biosecurity Officer - Partnerships, Megan Topia

NRC Biosecurity Officer - Marine, Kaeden Leonard

NRC PA – Environmental Services, Erica Wade

Part Meeting

MPI, Kauri Protection Coordinator, Allen McKenzie

MPI, Kauri Protection Coordinator, Mita Harris

 

 

 

The meeting commenced at 1.03pm.

Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)

Ngā Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)

TTMAC representative, Michelle Elboz

TTMAC representative, Georgina Connelly

 

 

Record of Actions – 16 June 2021 (Item 4.1)

Presented by: Erica Wade, PA Environmental Services

Agreed action points:

·                No actions required

 

Receipt of Action Sheet - Biosecurity and Biodiversity Working Party Actions (Item 4.2)

Presented by: Erica Wade, PA Environmental Services

Agreed action points:

·                The recorded action regarding MPI’s long term management of Myrtle Rust is to be marked as completed.

 

Kauri dieback - National Plan (Item 4.3)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Paperwork between NRC and MPI is to be completed in order to receive the $1m from MPI.

 

Kauri dieback track upgrade project (Item 4.4)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Kauri Protection to be used in all titles going forward rather than Kauri Die Back.

·                Acknowledgement to the Kauri Protection team for the huge effort to progress the project so efficiently and effectively.

 

Biosecurity Operational Report (Item 4.5)

Presented by: Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager and Louise Orford, Biosecurity Officer - Systems Support

Agreed action points:

·                Any recommendations or questions regarding the report are to be emailed to Don McKenzie by 20 October 2021.

·                A Draft copy will be issued back to the Working Party after 20 October for final review before presenting to council for adoption.

Predator Free 2050 (Item 4.6)

Presented by: Dean Ripley, Biosecurity Specialist, Predator Free and Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Update and progress report to be presented at the next Working Party meeting.

 

Deer Eradication Programme Update (Item 4.7)

Presented by: Vivienne Lepper, Biosecurity Officer - Pest Plants and Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                Working Party to be kept informed with updates and progress in seeking formal Wild Animal Control Act delegations from the Department of Conservation.

·                Norm MacDonald to provide a description (verbal or written) on how deer cull would work at the next Working Party meeting.

 

Clean Hull Plan (Item 4.8)

Presented by: Kathryn Lister, Biosecurity Officer - Marine and Don McKenzie, Biosecurity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                The Working Party supports the principal of the National Plan and asks staff to workshop the proposal with council ahead of seeking full council formal endorsement.

 

FIF dune lakes project update – including an update on Lake Tukaki (Item 4.9)

Presented by: Lisa Forester, Biodiversity Manager and Jacki Byrd, Biodiversity Specialist - Freshwater

Agreed action points:

·                Progress report to be presented at the next Working Party meeting.

·                Staff to provide a report on costings and feasibility of Hornwart eradication at lake Karaka and adjacent lakes to the next working party meeting.

 

Biodiversity Strategy Update (Item 4.10)

Presented by: James Griffin, Policy Specialist and Lisa Forester, Biodiversity Manager

Agreed action points:

·                The Working Party supports a formal paper to be presented at the next TTMAC working party meeting seeking guidance on how best to involve tangata whenua in the co-design of the process to develop a regional biodiversity strategy.

 

 

Whakamutunga (Conclusion)

The meeting concluded at 3.13pm.