Taumarere Flood Management Working Group

13 November 2021

Taumarere Flood Management Working Group Record of Actions

 

Meeting held in the Otiria Rugby Club

on Saturday 13 November 2021, commencing at 10.30-12.30

 

 

Tuhinga/Present:

Co-Chair, Councillor Justin Blaikie

Far North District Council, Councillor Kelly Stratford

Ratepayer representative, Waiōmio, Nisha Marsh

Otiria Rugby Club representative, Pamela-ann Ngohe-Simon

Ratepayer representative, Motatau/Opahi/Matawaia, Rowena Tana

 

 

I Tae Mai/In Attendance:

Full Meeting

NRC CEO, Malcolm Nicolson

NRC Rivers and Natural Hazards Manager, Joseph Camuso

NRC Rivers Project Manager, Meg Tyler

NRC Hapu Coordinator, Chantez Connor-Kingi

NRC PA for Environmental Services, Erica Wade

FNDC Helen Ronaldson

Hone Townsend

Tony Fairbor

Sydney Baker

Emma Matthews

Audra Cooper

Wayne Martin

Murray Armstrong

Susan Henare

Peter Woods

Joe Nom

Jo Kemp-Baker

 

 

The meeting commenced at 10.31am.

Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)

Ngā Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)

Kiwirail, Peter Ramsay, Andrew de L’Isle and Stephen Thomas

NZTA, Jacqui Hori-Hoult

FNDC, Troy Smith                    

Wiremu (Wylie) Keretene

 

Record of Actions – 6 August 2021 (Item 3.1)

Presented by: Cr. Justin Blaikie

Minutes confirmed

 

Receipt of Action Sheet (Item 3.2)

Presented by: Joseph Camuso

Agreed action points:

·            Hohipere Williams to be removed from the Terms of Reference.

·            Motatau Marae is closed until Northland returns to Alert Level 1.   Rowena will send an updated invite once this happens.

 

Matters Arising (Item 3.3)

Presented by: Cr. Justin Blaikie

Agreed action points:

·            Nil

 

Long Term Plan Update and Budget (Item 3.4)

Presented by: Joseph Camuso

Agreed action points:

·            PowerPoint of budget to be sent with minutes

 

Otiria / Moerewa Flood Mitigation Project Update (Item 3.5)

Presented by: NRC Rivers and Natural Hazards Manager, Joseph Camuso and NRC Hapu Coordinator, Chantez Connor-Kingi

Agreed action points:

·            PowerPoint sent with minutes.

·            NRC will undertake some soil testing.

·            A Cultural Assessment will be completed before and after the project.

·            Joe Camuso to source the width of the stop bank, from the top and the bottom and will present at the next meeting.

·            Working group to compile a list of priority projects so they can start to be addressed as this projects starts to unwind.  Once this project starts, there will be opportunities to bring smaller projects to the table with the possibility of using the $500k fund and any contingency left over.  Cr. Stratford will discuss this further with Nisha.

·            The works behind the marae can be started soon, a picture of the flow path to be sent with the minutes.

·            Chantez will follow up with the NRC water quality team regarding water testing and will inform the group of the outcome at the next meeting.

·            AFFCO to be invited to the Working Group meetings.

·            Peter Woods and Joe Camuso to have further discussion around the modelling.

 

Long Term Water Security (Item 3.6)

Presented by: Cr. Justin Blaikie

There could be an opportunity to add large water storage facility to the Long Term Plan.

NRC have funding available for water tanks to be installed on properties.  There is a max of $10K per property.

Agreed action points:

·            Nil

 

Any other business (Item 3.7)

Presented by: Cr. Justin Blaikie

Helen Ronaldson discussed the concept of some flooding remediation work.  Should the group require any further information please get in touch with Helen at FNDC.

Agreed action points:

·            Nil

 

Whakamutunga (Conclusion)

The meeting concluded at 12.31

.