Biosecurity and Biodiversity Working Party

23 February 2022

Biosecurity and Biodiversity Working Party Record of Actions


Meeting held in the Remotely via Zoom

on Wednesday 23 February 2022, commencing at 1.00pm




Chairperson, NRC Councillor Jack Craw

Councillor Marty Robinson

Councillor Rick Stolwerk

Ex Officio Penny Smart

TTMAC representative Georgina Connelly

TTMAC representative Juliane Chetham


I Tae Mai/In Attendance:

Full Meeting

NRC Chief Executive Officer – Malcolm Nicolson

GM Environmental Services, Jonathan Gibbard

GM Biosecurity -  Don Mckenzie

NRC Biodiversity Manager, Lisa Forrester

NRC Biosecurity Manager - Marine, Kathryn Lister

NRC Biosecurity Manager - Incursions & Response, Vivienne Lepper

NRC Biosecurity Manager- Predator Free, Sam Johnson

NRC Biodiversity Specialist – Freshwater, Jacki Byrd

NRC Biosecurity Officer - Marine, Kaeden Leonard

NRC Kia Arahi Tikanga Māori – Robert Nathan

NRC PA – Biosecurity Services – Mandy Tepania

Part Meeting

NRC Policy Specialist, James Griffin

Kiwi Coast, Coordinator, Ngaire Sullivan

Kiwi Coast, Coordinator, Andrew Mentor

Troy Churton


The meeting commenced at 1.05 pm.

Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)

Ngā Whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)

Councillor Justin Blaikie

TTMAC representative Nora Rameka

TTMAC representative Michelle Elboz



Record of Actions –13 October 2021 (Item 4.1)

Presented by: PA Biosecurity Services

Agreed action points:

·            No actions required


Receipt of Action Sheet (Item 4.2)

Presented by: PA Biosecurity Services

Agreed action points:

·            All actions marked as complete


Kiwi Coast Presentation (Item 4.3)

Presented by: Coordinator, Kiwi Coast

Agreed action points:

·            Kiwi Coast Presentation 11- report received and information noted.   Support given by members to prepare an item for future council workshop as per the item recommendation. 


Mr Churton - Presentation (Item 4.4)

Presented by: Mr Churton

Agreed action points:

·            Presentation 48- report received- Chair thanked Mr Churton for his presentation.

·            Staff to enquire with kiwi coast as to the possibility of running a dog owner training workshop at Taupo bay- Don Mckenzie to action

·            Staff to input to legislative change to the Conservation Act when the opportunity arises to advocate for better dog control and protection of endangered wildlife.  Policy team to advise when review is proposed.

·            Enquire with the kaitiaki ranger programme the possibility of summer patrols in this area. Don Mckenzie to action.

·            NRC to take the opportunity to submit on the FNDC by law review when this opportunity arises. Policy team to monitor the expected timing of this review and advise accordingly.


FIF Dune Lakes Programme - Lake Karaka Update (Item 4.5)

Presented by: Biodiversity Manager and Biodiversity Specialist Freshwater

Agreed action points:

·            Lake Karaka Update 49- recommendation supported- update to be given at a future working party meeting. Action Lisa Forester


Predator Free 2050 Update (Item 4.6)

Presented by: Biosecurity Predator Free 2050 Programme Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Predator Free 2050 Update 53- item noted.

·            Staff to ask for copy of the Nikki Wakefield report which was referred to at the meeting.  Don Mckenzie to action.

·            Staff to ensure that all programmes be undertaken using NRC Standard Operating Procedures to reduce external risks.  Don Mckenzie to follow up


Kauri Protection Update (Item 4.7)

Presented by: Biosecurity Group Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Kauri Protection Update 58- item noted and staff to provide a further update at the next working party meeting.  Gavin Clapperton to action


Feral Deer (Item 4.8)

Presented by: Biosecurity Incursions Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Further update at future meeting requested (6 months).  Vivienne Lepper to action


Biosecurity Climate Change Strategy (Item 4.9)

Presented by: Biosecurity Partnerships Manager and Biosecurity Group Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Biosecurity Climate Change Strategy 63- Chair noted the need to scope the engagement process particularly with hapū for this report but also the primary industry sectors- Chair thought this may cost $50k and would need to return to council workshop to request unbudgeted expenditure in order to begin this financial year- the strategy is budgeted for next financial year at this stage. 

·            Action: Chair to discuss at a future council workshop



Biodiversity strategy update (Item 4.10)

Presented by: Environmental Group Manager and Biodiversity Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Biodiversity strategy update 65- recommendations supported.  No further actions


Biosecurity and Biodiversity Work Program (Item 4.11)

Presented by: Biosecurity Group Manager and Biodiversity Manager

Agreed action points:

·            Biosecurity and Biodiversity Work Program- information noted



Whakamutunga (Conclusion)

The meeting concluded at 3.45 pm.