Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Board
18 February 2022
Ngā Miniti O Te Poari O Te Oneroa-A-Tōhē
Te Oneroa-A-Tōhē Board Minutes
Meeting held remotely
on Friday 18 February 2022, commencing at 10.00am
Haami Piripi Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa - (Chair)
Cr Mate Radich Far North District Council - (Dep Chair)
Graeme Neho Ngāti Kuri Trust Board
Cr Marty Robinson NRC Councillor
Wallace Rivers NgaiTakato
I Tae Mai (In Attendance):
Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)
Auriole Ruka NRC - GM, Strategy, Governance & Engagement
Sheila Taylor NRC - Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori
Robert Nathan NRC – Kaiārahi Tikanga Māori
Theresa Burkhardt FNDC – Policy Planner
Bill Lee FNDC – Policy Planner
George Riley Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa
Kerry Shanta Te Araroa Northland Trust
Meloney Tupou NRC – Kaiāwhina Tari
Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)
Mayor John Carter Far North District Council
Gary Hooper Chief Executive - Aquaculture New Zealand
Laws Larson Te Ohu Kaimoana
The Chair declared the meeting open at 10.20am.
Karakia Timatanga and Whakatau
Haami Piripi/Graeme Neho
Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)
This meeting will be held fully remote and attendees are responsible for their own health and safety and ensuring they are working in a safe environment
Ngā whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)
Te Runanga Nui o Te Aupouri Trust Waitai Petera (NRC online technical and communication issues)
Moved (Marty Robinson/Haami Piripi)
That the apologies from NRC Councillor Colin Kitchen for non-attendance be received.
Nga whakapuakanga (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest)
It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.
Confirmation of Minutes - 17 December 2021 (Item 4.1)
Report from Meloney Tupou, Māori Governance and Engagement Support Admin
Ngā mahi tūtohutia / Recommendation
Moved Graeme Neho/Marty Robinson
That the minutes of Te Oneroa A Tōhē Board Minutes meeting held on 17 December 2021 be confirmed as true and correct record.
Meeting Schedule for 2022 (Item 5.1)
Report from Sheila Taylor, Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori
Moved (John Carter/Marty Robinson)
1. That the report ‘Meeting Schedule for 2022’ by Sheila Taylor, Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori and dated 26 January 2022, be received.
· 2022 Board meetings, commencing February 2022 be held Bimonthly
· Contingent on recommendation 2.b.i, 2.b.ii or 2.b.iii being approved, the Board set the meeting dates for 2022 to the third Friday of the month in which the Board shall meet
· 22 April
· 17 June
· 19 August
Moved John Carter /Graeme Neho
1. That the Board endorses a change to the fishing year for GLM9
2. That the Board approve a letter of support:
a. for the change to the fishing year for Quota Management Area Green Lipped Mussel 9 (GLM9) from 1 October to 30 September to 1 April to 31 March; and
b. to be sent to the Minister of Fisheries and the Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Oceans and Fisheries; and
c. subject to the final approval of the Chair of Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Beach Board.
3. That the Board explore the possibility of a local bill.
John Carter left meeting – (10.48am) No Quorum
1. Progress of priority action items from Te Rautaki o Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe:
1.1 Scattering of ashes
· Speed Limits Workshop in progress today and they are on task for June deadline.
· Scattering of ashes, letter has been distributed to the funeral providers and it will be available on the Boards website.
· It was suggested by the Board that the letter be distributed on a larger scale in order to educate people around the Kaupapa.
1.2 Resource consent process
· Resource Consent –to formalise the process. Currently have one in the works it is on hold to decide if it will be a process or a plan change
1.3 Sites of significance
· Provide GIS mapping expertise and templates to support Iwi, Hapū and whānau to identify wāhi tapu and sites of significance in the Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Management area.
· Paper going to council in March to propose times and process for TOATB. Actioned by September time frame.
Te Araroa Northern Trust meeting update
· Mark Weatherall has resigned. Matt Claridge our new Executive Director as from 1st February 2022.
· Te Araroa walkers this season are low due to Covid 19.
Sandhills Road development
· 1000 Sandhills Limited (the Applicant) has acquired the property formally owned by Ahipara Land Company Limited. Applicant is seeking approval from the Far North District Council and Northland Regional Council.
· This paper has been prepared in advance of the applicant seeking approval from the Territorial Authorities to ensure the Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Beach Board are aware of the upcoming lodgement.
Karakia Mutunga/Graeme Neho
The meeting concluded at 11.48am.