18 February 2022
Te Oneroa-A-Tōhē Board Minutes
Haami Piripi Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa - (Chair)
Cr Mate Radich Far North District Council - (Dep Chair)
Graeme Neho Ngāti Kuri Trust Board
Cr Marty Robinson NRC Councillor
Wallace Rivers NgaiTakato
I Tae Mai (In Attendance):
Huihuinga i te katoa (Full Meeting)
Auriole Ruka NRC - GM, Strategy, Governance & Engagement
Sheila Taylor NRC - Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori
Robert Nathan NRC – Kaiārahi Tikanga Māori
Theresa Burkhardt FNDC – Policy Planner
Bill Lee FNDC – Policy Planner
George Riley Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa
Kerry Shanta Te Araroa Northland Trust
Meloney Tupou NRC – Kaiāwhina Tari
Huihuinga i te wahanga (Part Meeting)
Mayor John Carter Far North District Council
Gary Hooper Chief Executive - Aquaculture New Zealand
Laws Larson Te Ohu Kaimoana
The Chair declared the meeting open at 10.20am.
Karakia Timatanga and Whakatau
Haami Piripi/Graeme Neho
Ngā Mahi Whakapai/Housekeeping (Item 1.0)
This meeting will be held fully remote and attendees are responsible for their own health and safety and ensuring they are working in a safe environment
Ngā whakapahā/Apologies (Item 2.0)
Te Runanga Nui o Te Aupouri Trust Waitai Petera (NRC online technical and communication issues)
Moved (Marty Robinson/Haami Piripi)
That the apologies from NRC Councillor Colin Kitchen for non-attendance be received.
Nga whakapuakanga (Declarations of Conflicts of Interest)
It was advised that members should make declarations item-by-item as the meeting progressed.
Report from Meloney Tupou, Māori Governance and Engagement Support Admin
That the minutes of Te Oneroa A Tōhē Board Minutes meeting held on 17 December 2021 be confirmed as true and correct record.
Report from Sheila Taylor, Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori
Moved (John Carter/Marty Robinson)
1. That the report ‘Meeting Schedule for 2022’ by Sheila Taylor, Kaiārahi Kaupapa Māori and dated 26 January 2022, be received.
· 2022 Board meetings, commencing February 2022 be held Bimonthly
· Contingent on recommendation 2.b.i, 2.b.ii or 2.b.iii being approved, the Board set the meeting dates for 2022 to the third Friday of the month in which the Board shall meet
· 22 April
· 17 June
· 19 August
Moved John Carter /Graeme Neho
1. That the Board endorses a change to the fishing year for GLM9
2. That the Board approve a letter of support:
a. for the change to the fishing year for Quota Management Area Green Lipped Mussel 9 (GLM9) from 1 October to 30 September to 1 April to 31 March; and
b. to be sent to the Minister of Fisheries and the Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Oceans and Fisheries; and
c. subject to the final approval of the Chair of Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Beach Board.
3. That the Board explore the possibility of a local bill.
John Carter left meeting – (10.48am) No Quorum
1. Progress of priority action items from Te Rautaki o Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe:
1.1 Scattering of ashes
· Speed Limits Workshop in progress today and they are on task for June deadline.
· Scattering of ashes, letter has been distributed to the funeral providers and it will be available on the Boards website.
· It was suggested by the Board that the letter be distributed on a larger scale in order to educate people around the Kaupapa.
1.2 Resource consent process
· Resource Consent –to formalise the process. Currently have one in the works it is on hold to decide if it will be a process or a plan change
1.3 Sites of significance
· Provide GIS mapping expertise and templates to support Iwi, Hapū and whānau to identify wāhi tapu and sites of significance in the Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Management area.
· Paper going to council in March to propose times and process for TOATB. Actioned by September time frame.
Te Araroa Northern Trust meeting update
· Mark Weatherall has resigned. Matt Claridge our new Executive Director as from 1st February 2022.
· Te Araroa walkers this season are low due to Covid 19.
Sandhills Road development
· 1000 Sandhills Limited (the Applicant) has acquired the property formally owned by Ahipara Land Company Limited. Applicant is seeking approval from the Far North District Council and Northland Regional Council.
· This paper has been prepared in advance of the applicant seeking approval from the Territorial Authorities to ensure the Te Oneroa-a-Tōhe Beach Board are aware of the upcoming lodgement.
Karakia Mutunga/Graeme Neho
The meeting concluded at 11.48am.